A picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes a picture needs words to tell its story.

Wednesday 3 April 2024

The sorry-looking Coelacanth



I grew up reading about the coelacanth and about how it had been rediscovered in 1938 when it was thought to have become extinct millions of years ago.  When I first saw this specimen, in London's Natural History Museum a mere decade ago, my first reaction was an almost child-like wonder.  Here in the actual flesh was this living fossil (well, this example wasn't living, obviously...).  It was a solid, primitive, hefty-looking fish and looking at it felt like looking at a living dinosaur.  Yes, I know...  It is fair to say that as a species it isn't an underwhelming fossil fish this month (if you know, you know) or any other month.

My second reaction was that it actually looks rather sorry for itself and this particular one is in fact underwhelming.  Like everything else that has been 'pickled' the way this one has, it has become pale and colourless over time. It really is a shame - and not just because live ones are the most amazing blue that would suit what seems to be my usual palette very well! Unless you know how special these fish are, this one isn't going to inspire you at all.  It didn't help, from a photography point of view, that of course you're trying not to photograph the reflections on the glass at the same time.  I didn't have a camera with me the first time I saw it, but when I went back to the NHM to spend a little quality time with the marine reptiles, I also made a point of looking for the coelacanth again.  If I'd started my bucket list at the time I saw it, the coelacanth would definitely have been on it.

Looking at the photo again, it seems only right to make it monochrome rather than leave the poor creature looking as washed out as it is in its tank.  It's not a technically good photo by any means but  this specimen creates deep if rather mixed feelings in me.

#100Photos #41


No comments:

Post a Comment